Bond-Laminates is been supplying its Tepex dynalite Glass/PA6 laminates for the BMW M3 bumper beam.
The thermoplastic composite beam has been manufactured by Jacob Composite GmbH, Wilhelmsdorf (D). Jacob Composite and Bond-Laminates have cooperated intensively to customize the material lay-up for cost and performance.
Principally, this development was relying on the structural performance of Tepex dynalite Glass/PA6 materials against incumbent materials. The result made BMW and Jacob choose for a running material change during an ongoing production.
According to Mr. Marko Wacker, manager of R&D at Jacob Composites, the Tepex dynalite Glass/PA6 material offers the following advantages:
• weight reduction from 7 kg to 3.1 kg vs. aluminium beams
• three to four times better material crash performance vs. steel
• excellent structural performance
• a fast and reproducible manufacturing of the beam
• a higher temperature stability and better crash performance than Glass/PP materials
For more information visit:
Subscribe to receive our weekly round-up of all the industry's latest news, jobs, events and more!