20 December 2010
20 December 2010
The Composite App Challenge invited individuals and teams to submit applications and ideas in four categories intended to help resolve some of societys pressing issues infrastructure durability, fuel efficiency, renewable energy and protection from harm, and the finalists for each category have been announced.
▪ Tony Carvalho, Brazil, Impermeable Composite for Solvent
▪ Tony Vanswijgenhoven (business), Covess, Belgium, Thermoplastic Hot Water Storage Tank
▪ Juergen Weigel (business), Brazil, Continuous Winding Technology
▪ Yuhe Yang (business), U.S., Composite Bridge
▪ Leandro Henrique Grizzo (Student), Brazil, Reforamento de Compostos de PVC com Fibras de
▪ Vidro Longas para Aplicaes na Construo Civil
▪ Evgeniy Nikolaev (business), Galen Ltd., Russia, Composite High-Pressure Pipeline
▪ Joe Carruthers (team), United Kingdom, Lightweight Crashworthy Train Cab
▪ Willem Louw (business), Lomold (Pty) Ltd, South Africa, Composite Pallet Box
▪ Gauri Dutt Sharma, India, Lighter Container
▪ Philip Thicthener, Australia, Carbon and Glass in Filament Winding
▪ Doug Selsam (business), U.S., Superturbine Rotor Blades
▪ Claudio Mascialino (business), Bluebasic GmbH, Austria, Vertical Wind Generator
▪ John Gangloff (Student), U.S., Fuel Cells
▪ Jaap Ketel, Netherlands, Solar Kettle
▪ Thomas Kloss, U.S., Commercial Ducted Savonius Rotor VAT WEC
▪ Philipp Schilcher (Student), Austria, Increasing Efficiency in Concentrated Solar Power
There were no finalists in category Protection from harm
Application finalists are being invited to present their concepts to a panel of judges. Application and idea winners will be announced during the first week in February 2011.
TRB Lightweight Structures has recently gained the highest DIN 6701 (Parts 1-4) A1 type certification.
Composite products, based on polyurethane technologies from global chemical company Huntsman, are taking centre stage at a design exhibition at the Design Museum Gent, Belgium.
In late November, the 14 project partners in the MoPaHyb consortium developing a modular production plant for hybrid high-performance components wrapped up their successful efforts with a two-day symposium in Pfinztal, Germany.