21 January 2007
21 January 2007
The JEC Innovation Programme 2007 will reward 8 companies and their partners this year during the award ceremony April 3rd in the Orsay Museum in Paris.
The Programme was created in 1998, and every year rewards the best composites innovations in terms of technical interest, commercial potential, partners, financial impact and originality. This year the jury, composed of 15 renowned international experts, has decided to award 8 innovations among 24 finalists, in the following categories:
Winner: Acoustic insulation nacelle for aircraft engines by Hexcel Corporation (USA)
- Composite air ducting for airplanes by Marquez (Canada)
- STARBlade brake rotors made of silicon carbide ceramic by Starfire Systems (USA)
Winner: Ring-winding technology for highly efficient pressure-vessel manufacturing by Institut fur Verbundwerkstoffe GmbH (Germany)
- Lamborghini Murcièlago roadster engine frame by ATR Group (Italy)
- Structure and internal parts for a racing motorhome by Polynt SPA (Italy)
Winner: New extra-long wind-turbine blade using WindStrand™ reinforcement by Owens Corning (Belgium)
- Calipso storage cylinder for liquefied petroleum gas by Komposit Praha (Czech Republic)
- A system for multifunctional roof construction (MRC-System) by Scobalit (Switzerland)
Winner: Composite drainage channel for railway tracks by ApATeCH (Applied Advanced Technology Company, Ltd)
- SK tank for bulk powder products by Spitzer Eurovrac (France)
- Composite pallets by Icepalet (Australia)
Winner: “Vaneo” programme – Hydraulic control assembly, by DJP (France)
- Composite boat-deck table leg by Chomarat Composites (France)
- Archimède 4, a human-powered submarine by Société Technique Archimède Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal (Canada)
Winner: Composite cervical plate by Icotec (Switzerland)
- Polyurethane-based bio-polymer by Poliquil Araraquara Polimeros Quimocos Ltda (Brazil)
- Three-wheeled wheelchair with carbon seat by Trekinetic All Terrain (UK)
Winner: Grilon MS fusible bonding yarn for stabilising carbon fabric by EMS-Griltech (Switzerland)
- Fibro-comp dry impregnation process by Fibroline (France)
- e-comp, an online software tool for composites by Aimplas (Spain). NetComposites was also one of the partners in this project, which can be found here
Sports & Leisure
Winner A2000, a mass-produced bicycle wheel that is 100% carbon by Salomon SA (Mavic Division) (France)
- Composite hull for a rowing catamaran by Rocat Ltd (UK)
- Carbon ski pole by Nanoledge (France)
Brazilian company Dilutec has developed a complete gelcoat portfolio for shipyards, for applications ranging from the manufacture of the boat mould to small repairs of the hulls and decks.
Sharp & Tappin has installed and commissioned a Compcut 200 composite plate saw at Renault Sport Racing in Enstone, Oxfordshire, UK.
Applications for composites in the sports and leisure sector will be showcased by various exhibitors at Composites Europe in Stuttgart, Germany, on 6-8 November.