15 October 2003
15 October 2003
The American Composites Manufacturers Association announced the 2003 Awards for Composites Excellence (ACE) winners at the Composites 2003 show, spotlighting innovative and advanced uses of composites technology.
Seven products received ACE Awards, sponsored by AOC and Composites One:
- Quintus Composites’ “Composite Cello” for Best of Show;
- Cabo Yachts, Inc.’s “Sports Fishing Boat” for People’s Choice;
- Kreysler and Associates’ “Translucent Metallic FRP Panels” for Creative Application;
- Insituform Technologies’ “Insituform SP Manufactured by the Multiple Viscosity Infusion (MVI) Process” for Market Expansion;
- AeroComposites, Inc.’s “General Aviation Constant Speed Composite Propeller Blade” for Process Innovation;
- 3D Carbon Wings by Wing West Inc.’s “Carbon Fiber Automotive Hood” for Quality in an Open Molded Part; and
- ABC Industries, Inc.’s “RigiDuct WG” for Technical Innovation for Corrosion Application (sponsored by Ashland Specialty Chemical Company).
“The judges and show attendees were all very impressed with the aesthetic appearance of the Composite Cello. You could slip it into a normal orchestra and no one would be able to tell the difference,” said Larry Craigie, ACMA’s Manager of Technical Affairs.
The winners of the awards for best papers were:
- Best Technical Paper Award: “15 Year Study of the Effective Use of Permeation Barriers in Marine Composites to Prevent Corrosion and Blistering: Part 2, Evaluation of the Physical Properties,” written by David J. Herzog and Paul P. Burrell, Interplastic Corporation;
- Best Pultrusion Technical Paper Award: “Enhanced Pultrusion Using Photocure to Supplement Standard Thermal Cure,” written by Ellen Lackey, James G. Vaughan, and Rahul Patki, The University of Mississippi;
- Best Materials Technical Paper Award: “Thermosetting Resins with Controlled Viscosity for Impermeable Prepreg Preparation,” written by Hildeberto Nava and Jerrod Rose, Reichhold, Inc.;
- Best Testing and Design Technical Paper Award: “15-Year Study of the Effective Use of Permeation Barriers in Marine Composites to Prevent Corrosion and Blistering: Part 2, Evaluation of the Physical Properties,” written by David J. Herzog and Paul P. Burrell, Interplastic Corporation; and
- Best Processing Technical Paper Award: “New Methods in Analytical Calculation of Laminates and Composite Structures,” written by Michael Sonnen, Christian Laval, and Axel Seifert, MATERIALS S.A. of Brussels, Belgium.
The sister ship of the renowned passenger ferry Vision of the Fjords takes sustainability one step further. A catamaran constructed from carbon fibre composite that runs entirely on batteries, Future of the Fjords will offer sightseeing with a minimum of environmental impact.
At the American Composites Manufacturers Association (ACMA)'s third annual Infrastructure Day on 6-7 February 2018 34 ACMA members joined together to meet with over 100 Members of Congress and their staffs to advance legislation to drive investment in innovative material solutions for transportation, water and energy infrastructure.
Shoppers visiting the newly redeveloped Halls Head Central Shopping Centre will be greeted by a 3.5 m x 2.5 m core composite spiral ribbon representing the logo of one of the centre's owners.