Full time, fixed term contract until 30 April 2021.
The Structural Composites Research Group at WMG’s ACRC are looking for highly motivated engineers to deliver high-volume structural composite manufacturing solutions in close partnership with JLR and their selected industry partners.
You will contribute to the £38m APC-funded ‘TUCANA’ project to drive the development of innovative lightweight vehicle structures. The project is delivering a step-change in automotive light-weighting capability within the UK supply chain, by addressing structural performance at a design, material and volume manufacturing level. Structural carbon fibre composite components are being developed and manufactured in WMG’s new Materials Engineering Centre using dedicated industry-leading facilities for composite and hybrid structures.
You will have experience of product R&D and manufacturing processes engineering gained within the automotive or aerospace sector, coupled with the ability to actively engage with industry collaborators and project partners. Manufacturing processes of particular relevance include compression moulding of SMC and prepreg and preforming of continuous fibre reinforcements. You will have a good honours degree or equivalent experience in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering or chemical engineering.
Experience of structural composites process development/application and the delivery or management of project research in a collaborative R&D environment (particularly within the automotive industry) would be advantageous.
These exciting roles will involve close collaboration with global industrial partners and therefore there may be opportunities for international travel, as well as opportunities for training and career development.
At WMG we are committed to supporting staff to achieve their potential. We currently hold the Athena SWAN Bronze Award and the University of Warwick holds an Institutional Silver Award: a national initiative that recognizes the advancement of gender equality, representation, progression and success for all in academia. We are supportive of staff with caring responsibilities including a generous maternity/paternity/adoption/parental leave policy, and onsite childcare facilities. We will consider applications for employment on a part-time or other flexible working basis, even where a position is advertised as full-time, unless there are operational or other objective reasons why it is not possible to do so.
To work within the research group at WMG’s ACRC to develop and demonstrate structural composite manufacturing process technology in direct collaboration with industry partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To plan and deliver moulding programmes of carbon fibre composite components in support of project objectives. This will involve operating a state-of-the-art compression moulding press.
2. Collaborate with automotive supply chain partners in the development and application of composite materials processing technology, demonstrating selected technologies for immediate commercial exploitation and ensuring project objectives are met.
3. To provide technical recommendations, practical tools and design advice for the project team, working onsite at WMG and offsite at industry partners’ premises thus ensuring effective transfer of the developed manufacturing process technologies.
4. To identify, operate, install and improve suitable equipment to support the project objectives, carrying out tests to evaluate the equipment performance effect on products, including operation of a state-of-the-art compression moulding press.
5. Provide design for manufacture support to specific product applications using learning from generic moulding studies and transition that learning to project partners for mould and design development.
6. To assist with the management of all R&D aspects within the project such as progress tracking, technical reporting and making contributions to publications and other dissemination routes.
7. To ensure the timely delivery of project deliverables, implementing the optimum approach for achievement of targets.
Share this job
Subscribe to receive our weekly round-up of all the industry's latest news, jobs, events and more!